Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Second Life!

So today I thought i would take the time to actually create an avatar in Second Life and see what it is all about.

Other people had told me that the process for establishing your was complicated and time consuming and i would have to agree. The other time consuming part was downloading the software that is required to run Second Life. I use broadband internet but this is Cambodia so it is only just a little quicker than dial-up back in Australia!!

I have done a small amount of 'gaming' but i still found myself walking into walls etc. The keys used to navigate just didn't seem responsive enough for the way i was walking and flying!!

You start your life on Orientation Island before 'graduating' to the Second Life world itself - this step took ages. The length of this set up process (a couple of hours) would need to be considered when using Second Life for educational purposes.

It was just as i had finished all the tasks on Orientation Island that i received an error from my computer stating that the 'Windows virtual memory was low' and that Windows needed to increase the size of my virtual memory. It was also at this point where the whole Second Life window partially froze - i could look around but not move anywhere or click on anything. I gave it a little break in the hope that 'Windows' would fix it but ended off logging off after about 20 minutes.

Will try again tomorrow!!

No comments: